Sunday, April 1, 2012

Steel and Stone


Stone and Steel, from the album Chicago Architecture, Photo courtesy of Janeen Hutchins, © March 2012

Steel and Stone


Steel statues
Tower
Over
Stone and steeple
Stained glass
And stained people
Reflections in silver windows
And steel shadows
Clouds cover
The sunlight pierces through
The morning dew
Steel stole stone’s tower
Humanity hovering over
From hour to working hour


© March 27, 2012, Robbie Pruitt



My friend Janeen posted the photo above, Stone and Steel, in a Facebook album titled Chicago Architecture last month. Immediately, the following poem came to me. Janeen is a very talented photographer and was kind enough to allow me to use this photo. This is a great example, as Janeen put it, of “art inspiring art.”

I met Janeen and her husband Ryan while my wife Irene and I were doing a National Outdoor Leadership School course together in the Pacific Northwest back in 2009. The two of them were our Instructors for our Trip Leaders Course. Not only are Janeen and Ryan both gifted photographers and course leaders at NOLS, they are great people and I am blessed to know them. You can enjoy more of Janeen’s amazing photography here: http://www.janeenhutchinsphotography.com/.

April is National Poetry Month. This month I will be posting a new poem every week and will be posting a different poem from my poetry blog every day. I have also put together a manuscript of poetry called “Steel and Stone” that I have submitted to a poetry book contest for this year. If you are interested in a copy of this “rough draft,” I will email it to you in PDF format for $10.00, click here, if you send me a request to stay411@msn.com with your e-mail address.


No comments:

Post a Comment