Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ghost Lake


Ghost Lake, photo courtesy of Michael Bixler
© September 9, 2012 

My friend Michael Bixler is an excellent photographer, artist, writer, videographer and “adventurer.” He took this photo, Ghost Lake, while on a hike recently and like much of his work, it captivated me and inspired the following poem by the same title. Bixler provoked me to poetry last November as well with his photo Late Autumn Epiphany. I am a huge fan of his work and am grateful he allows me to use his art as my muse. To see more of Michael Bixler’s work, click here, here, here, or here.

Ghost Lake

In shapeless void
Spirit hovers over water
Deep cries out to deep
Formlessness bends and shifts
Under the Wind’s drifts
Blackness and echoing howl
Swirls of windblown ripple and mist
Calmness emerges at burst of light
Disorder and chaos simmers
Blackness gives way to purple hue
The sea calms and glimmers
Shape emerges at close of day
Light dances about and shimmers


© September 9, 2012, Robbie Pruitt


"The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." –Genesis 1:2


1 comment: