Saturday, April 20, 2013

City of Exile by Glynn Young

Photography by George Hodan via Public Domain Pictures
Used with permission.

I am excited to guest post the poem City of Exile by my friend in poetry Glynn Young for National Poetry Month. Glynn is an excellent poet and writer and is the author of A Light Shining, Dancing Priest, and the blog Faith, Fiction, Friends. Glynn writes extensively about faith and culture, life and work and writes for The High Calling and Tweetspeak Poetry. It has been a great pleasure and joy reading Glynn’s work over the years and I am sure you will enjoy it too. Here is the poem City of Exile by Glynn Young.


City of Exile

A city of granite walls
and marbled streets, cold,
a city of exile, not inclined
to mercy or pity. I walk
the streets of the city
of exile, sent, preferring to be
in the belly of the whale.

Faces of strangers confront
the stranger’s face, my face,
and I listen, sent to listen
and to pray for this city
of exile, this place of aliens
for aliens. My footsteps echo
on hollow stones.

I walk the streets of this city
of exile, to seek my home
I this city thirsting for light,
the light I thirst for, seek
desire in this city exile where
few speak and none smile.
My singing attracts stares.


By Glynn Young
Faith, Fiction, Friends

2 comments:

  1. Robbie, thank you for featuring this piece on your site (I've enjoyed your work, btw, via dVerse Pub link ups.)
    These are the lines that resonated with me: 'sent to listen and pray for this city of exile,' 'aliens in this world praying for the aliens in the land...'
    We are sojourners in this land sent to listen, and sing.
    Thank you, Glynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't want to know what it's like to be in the belly of a whale...it sounds like an awful place to be.

    ReplyDelete